Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Cast Post: Sean Lally


The process begins, and the whirling and twirling of collaboration starts to take grip. Inspiration turns to frustration turns to a moment of the great "fuck it." This simplification of a complicated, emotionally rattling state then begins to follow me home. I start realizing that what I discovered in the room at rehearsal, was not only the 'answer' to Felipe's questions but perhaps the key to some personal issue, some "real problem." This becomes the stimulant for new work, and so on and so forth.
So I react to manicans spewing mother and son at me, I have sleep overs where things set on fire, I have songs still yet to be heard, and harmonies that we all enjoy singing. I am afraid. I feel inadequate. I feel absolutely ready. I'm not sure about this blog, yet I feel absolutely great about it so far. My head is in a state of paradox - one day this, the next day something else, and other other days everything's together.
I live for the physical work. Felipe says it releases endorphins. I believe it. We move in a space together, sometimes with no sound at all. Just us, our bodies and our breathing. We begin by analyzing the space, fresh without our influence, and after rolling, kicking, jumping, bellowing, staring, connecting, disconnecting, loving, hating, controlling, letting loose... we return to our original spot along the wall and rediscover the space from a distance. Suddenly my relationship changes, and the pole is no longer just a meaningless pole, but a pole I have run into, climbed on, jumped over etc.
From there we begin to work. And after working on our solo pieces we present them. This is positively one of the most beautiful elements of this work. There is usually such an intimacy, such a vulnerability, such a closeness, literally. We bundle together to watch these people share something with us for the first time, and usually there is nothing that divides me from that performer. We are all friends, and we all grow together, watching the pieces take one step at a time. I love this process even when I hate it, which is why I will continue to work on building this collective. Thank you for your time.

-Sean Robert Lally

1 comment:

  1. Is Sean Lally the one who played Romeo in Romeo and Juliet? Just wondering!

    ReplyDelete